Sunday, January 22, 2012

Weekend Extravaganza - Scuba Certification Edition

How was your weekend?  Seriously, this past weekend was so crazy awesome, I'm still in disbelief really.  Though someone is typing this blog... hmmm... might as well be me.  (disclaimer: quite exhausted - if this doesn't make sense, I'll update at a later point in time)

Disclaimer - this will be a lengthy blog.

How do you celebrate your last Friday in Hawai'i (in the near foreseeable future)?  Happy Hour of course!!  There's no better Happy Hour on the island than Dave and Busters (M-F 1630-1900, Su-Th 2200 - closing)!  All the hard liquor and mixed drinks are 50% off.  That's not even the best part - the location, watching the sunset at the roof deck of DnB while having a Cosmo is really where its at - especially when you're in the company of awesome friends!


What do you when Happy Hour is over? Play games of course!  After playing tons of games for tickets we didn't redeem.  What's next?!  Time for the next bar.  (seriously).  I don't think I've been to 2 bars in one night since 2006? 

Well, we lost one on the way to Hula's.  Hula's was fun, it hasn't changed much in years, great relaxed environment with people that are easily approachable and a bit of dancing to be had - and dancing we did.

One part of this experience that was a bit of a sour note, was the fact that I knew I had to scuba dive the next day at 0730 - at Electric Beach on the east side.  Basically, I needed to be up and out of the house by 0600 the next day.  The ironic part is I took the written part of my NAUI scuba exam online on Friday - that stated you shouldn't drink nor smoke before you dive.  At the end of the night, I had a bit too much to drink, but I spent roughly 2 hours drinking heaps of water, coffee and dancing.

After a quick power nap, it was time to head to Electric Beach for my first dive in the ocean.  Now, you guys know that I am scared of open water, so I had a bit of anxiety, but fortunately - I was too tired to really have any fear.  In fact, I feel asleep in the back of the pickup truck on the way there (and even on the way back).  We performed two dives this day.

Electric Beach at sunrise

Group Briefing - apparently I'm not listening.

Hmmm... I thought I had a lot more things to say about scuba certification, but the thoughts really allude me at this time.  Let me just write about some technical aspects.  The certification process requires 5 dives (including 1 freedive - without gear).  Each dive requires performing tasks that must be completed - cool part is, its the same tasks we did in the pool the Tuesday and Thursday night prior.

Scuba Gear
Actually, thinking about it, having taken this class, it has made me feel a lot more comfortable in the water.  Even learning basic skills like clearing your mask, different ways to dive underwater, and just the experience of being underwater - 3 hours and 23 minutes underwater has really opened my eyes that there really isn't anything to be scared of - as long as you know your abilities and respect the water.  Yes, I am not going on some 200 ft. dive anytime soon, but yes, I'll go on some shallower dives.

I'm NAUI Scuba Certified - shut the FRONT DOOR!  Will post a copy of the ID upon receipt in a week or so.

Me underwater...
Oh yeah, this past weekend too, a lot of my things have been sold, the extra TVs are gone, bed, desks, etc.  Tomorrow, the car will be sold and hopefully the bike as well.

PS. Fuji XP20 sucks underwater.  I think it would be good for snorkeling or the pool, nothing deeper than 5ft.  Oh yeah, I saw 4 turtles today. lol where's that honu picture?

Sorry so short... ha ha... I'm brain pO.Oped.

PPS.  Thinking of getting certified?  I highly recommend the company that handled my certification.  They are (very patient individuals) really cool people who just love what they do.
Check them out: Pearl Harbor Divers.

Mahalo for reading. 

Until next time.

No comments: