Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Conquering Fear - Deep Water

 Who would have guessed I would be talking about me entering the deep water!?

Well, I've made great strides the last couple of years to really enjoy the water.  Learning how to swim, learning how to surf, snorkeling, kayaking, and now... scuba diving.

Today was the 1st (night) day of scuba certification, and supposedly the hardest, getting to know the gear was the easy part.  There was a swim test!  It was so hard since I hadn't really been swimming and such.

So the test:
-Swim 200 meters non-stop (not too bad, sorta sucked without a warm-up)
-Swim 50 meters underwater - with 1 breath (pretty easy - I have great lung capacity)
-Tread water for 10 minutes (this sucked so hard)

Treading water for me is the hardest - for those of you (Team Jet) who have trained with me in the water - especially the UH pool, know that I just sink to the bottom, it was really really hard for me.  Everyone else was talking, playing games, while I was there struggling staring at the sky trying to stay above water.

After that the rest was easy.  It was assembling out gear, getting in the water and going through exercises.  Breathing with the apparatus, finding the apparatus while underwater, how to remove water from your mask while underwater, completely filling your mask with water and clearing, removing your mask completely and putting it back on and clearing. then helping our your buddy who is out of oxygen, then getting use to having all the gear and finding your buoyancy. 

Sounds short, but our session today was from 1800-2230.  I was so cold in the water.  Weird part is, I wasn't cold anymore when I left the water.

I'm finally home, blogging and exhausted.

Eeps!  MBA interview tomorrow - wish me luck!

Mahalo for reading.

Until next time.

1 comment:

Ayala said...

Sounds pretty cool, good luck on your interview!!!