Friday, August 29, 2008

Love & Hate - Apple

LOVE & HATE - APPLE
I was super excited yesterday night when I got a phone call that my laptop was ready. (Click here for regarding earlier post) During my lunch break, I drive to Kahala mall to see my laptop and I honestly couldn't tell any difference, but then again, everything that was changed was internal. After work, I rush home to get my iBook started. Super grateful for the fact that I had Leopard Operating System, why? Because it has Time Machine (a super awesome feature), and I had backed up my laptop the night prior the incident.

I turned on my laptop... Great Leopard graphics come on... Then, it asks, so I already own a Mac and if I would like to transfer my files? Yes, please, I'd like to transfer my files from a previous Time Machine back up.

Photobucket

After that, it asked which information I wanted to transfer (everything of course)

Photobucket

5 minutes later..

Photobucket

An hour later.............

Photobucket

Once the transfer was completed, it restarted itself and welcome me to the home screen where a familiar picture appeared (a picture of me). After entering my password and hitting enter, the large icon wiggled from left to right, indicating that had input the wrong password. I tried my password again, as it is 12 alpha-numeric characters. The icon said no again as it showed my password hint. Of course I know what it is! Hello, its the same password I've had on the laptop for 3.5 years! So maybe they reset the password, so I just hit enter, no luck. I called the Apple Store immediately and told them the situation. They said to come in as its hard to diagnose a computer via the telephone. Another trip to Apple Store Kahala Mall. I was ready to throw the laptop out the window. Once at the Apple Store it was pretty quick, he plugged in an external HD, booted up my laptop via the external OS, and reset my password. Since I was having problems with passwords, he wanted to erase my keychain (password saver), but guess what? The letter K wasn't working. Weird because everything was working the night before it broke. Easy solution...

A new keyboard...

Photobucket

I'm at home now and everything is great...

SUMMARY...
4 trips to the Apple Store
First trip, diagnosed my iBook and it was going to cost $280.
Second trip, deciding to fix my iBook and dropping it off.
Third trip, picking up my iBook during lunch.
Fourth trip, getting the password fixed and a new keyboard.
$280 + taxes

Was it worth it? Yes! Yes Yes! They replaced the logic board on my laptop along with the hard drive, and a new keyboard. Parts alone would have set me back $700. I basically have a brand new laptop. The first go lasted 3.5 years and I won't be surprised if this lasts another 3 years or more.

Why do I love Apple? They're at your beckon call.

Love you Apple! Welcome back iBook!

Mahalo for reading.

Until next time.

No comments: