Saturday, April 12, 2014

TravelTalk - A run in with extremists in Kiev, Ukraine


It was about 130am earlier today, (which was quite a fun day).

Once we decided to leave the bar, there weren't many people, as soon as I stepped outside I saw group of men wearing hooded masks, (kinda like something a skier would wear, so you can only see their eyes), I knew what it automatically meant and I tried to rush to the taxi.

The three of us (me and two of my friends live here in Kiev), were cut off by a couple of members, what happened next, happened quite quickly.  I remember someone lunging towards me, I managed to swerve and miss, but there were too many of them, after a punch in a face (which looks a lot worse than it actually feels), I went into the fetal position protecting my face, I recall getting kicked in the back.  

There were many people circling me, some people offering me a hand, I grabbed the wrong hand as others were trying to pull me back into the club I got punched another time in the face.  I made it inside after, shaken, but I wasn't in too much pain, kinda uncomfortable... I was more concerned for my friend who had a bloody nose...

From there, we called the police and waited, the police asked for identification (which of course, I don't have because I don't carry my passport with me), but they didn't really need it.  There were 6-7 of them in full uniform guarding the front.  They exchanged conversation in Ukrainian/Russian, they assured me everything would be safe, and it was.  After what felt like 5-6 rounds of handshakes, a quick conversation in Spanish with a spectator, we hopped into the taxi straight home.

Yes, while I'm shaken, I still can't wait to see the rest of Kiev... Just a couple of notes, try not to go out at night, if you have to with your group, just be vigilant...


CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS HERE: 
http://www.youtube.com/user/hawaiiinsomniac/videos 
 Mahalo for reading. Until next time.

No comments: