Monday, April 14, 2014

TravelTalk - My 4th day in Kiev, Ukraine (danger vs fear)

 I swear all of my Couchsurfing hosts must think I am bipolar.  I am literally sending out messages like, I'm going to Warsaw, then 5 minutes later, I am staying here... let's go hang out for a drink...

Why am I writing about this.... well, I think there is a difference between danger versus fear.... Danger can be quantified and minimalized if certain steps are taken to remove your self from risk factors which causes the danger.  With that said, today, I was quite freaked out about going to a new place, on my own and even meeting other people today, I kinda did not want to be in public.

After meeting my new host (more about him below), doing laundry, taking a nap and waking up to the sun, I finally agreed to leave the house and hang out with Dmitriy (pictured below)...  Ha ha... 

Seriously... my texts to him were like...
D: Let's hang out
M: Perfect
D: Want to meet around 1400?
M: Kinda paranoid, don't want to leave the house because I got punched in the face twice.
D: I hope you are fine

After nap:
M: Hey let's hang out... 

While, I am not saying you should not be careful, you should calculate risk.  Yes, I was walking around by myself to meet Dmitriy, but it was in a public street, during daylight, with a bit of crowds walking around - that's not to say that I was perfectly calm... but hey, I'm starting to feel a lot better...  



I didn't taste this... just took the photo.


My first pizza in Kiev




My host Arseniy and sister - a jam session!
He's my 2nd host here in Kiev and he's really laid back, inspiring English teacher - which he shouldn't have any trouble, likes to travel as well... and is prone to freak accidents - toe nail and surfboard - in Bali... (interesting story)


Funny thing is, I almost missed out on all of these things today had I listened to my fear... and not the actual danger which was minimal, since I took common precautions, such as traveling during the day, not walking alone (if it could possible be averted), well, for those of reading the news, try not to freak out, everyone here is not really sure what is going to happen to the lack of military response from Ukraine... 


PS.  Apple - you are F***ing stupid.  WTF. I'm selling this iPad as soon as I get back to Spain.

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS HERE: 
http://www.youtube.com/user/hawaiiinsomniac/videos 
 Mahalo for reading. Until next time.

No comments: