Thursday, October 31, 2013

TechTalk - Top 3 IM (Instant Messaging) applications

Alright everyone,

If you have a smart phone, chances are you probably have a IM application.
Instant messaging applications doesn't cost you to send messages if you have a data plan or WiFi.
With many options out there, I wanted to write about  my favorites and why (and other IM applications that did not make the top 3).

Top 3
1) Viber - CLICK HERE
2) Google Hangout - CLICK HERE
3) WhatsApp - CLICK HERE

WhatsApp - This is a great application.  The service has a large number of users, so finding others to contact is easy (assuming you have programmed phone numbers into your phone).  For example, if you keep your contacts updated on your device, once you download the application, you will be able to see everyone on your contact list who also uses WhatsApp.  Another great thing about this service, is the ease of group chats, sharing photos, and you can also share your location.  One of the things I don't like about WhatsApp, which my top 2 choices have is the capacity to message from your computer or tablet (I'll explain further in detail), so basically to communicate you will need the phone that you used to register your account to.

Google Hangout - I love this even more than WhatsApp.  If you already use Gmail, individuals are autopopulated into your messaging list, so you can just message anyone.  Unlike WhatsApp, Google Hangout (GH), doesn't allow you to share your location, but you can video chat.  One of the things I really love about GH and Viber as well is the ability to continue a conversation with any device you have.  For example, I'm walking home chatting with friends and once I get home, I sort of want to check my emails at the same time, so I just turn on my computer, open a browser, log into Gmail, and voila - you can continue your chat online.  This is great as well especially when you are having long chat conversations (typing on a mobile device gets old after 5 minutes), so with GH and Viber, you can chat away on your desk, mobile, tablet, etc.  You're not limited to 1 device.  One downfall of this application is that the other person has to have a Gmail account (which most people do), but they also have to use Google hangout on their mobile device or the chat while checking Gmail on a computer browser.  

Viber - This application won the #1 spot by a hair, for a couple of reasons.  Viber is available on almost every single platform.  Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Desktop (and laptop computers) has the capacity to run Viber.  This is great, because #1, you don't have to have Gmail (another reason why I don't have Facetime on my top 3, not everyone has a iOS device).  Similar to Google Hangout, you can chat from your computer, your phone, tablet, etc.  Another plus Viber is that you can make phone calls through the application and it doesn't cost any money!  The application is also easy to install and easy to use.  

The rest of the field.

BBM - According to recent news there were 20 million downloads of the popular application; however, after installing and signing in (which happened to be a long drawn out process because I HAD a blackberry before and of course, I could not remember the password.  Fortunately, I remembered my challenge password), I had only 2 friends.  Yes, this is quite a drastic difference, considering on Viber, I have over 100 contacts, and on my GMail, probably closer to 200.  Blackberry still uses PIN code (an alphanumeric code) as your ID, so finding friends isn't as easy as the other applications.  While there are also other options to add people, like QR scan, it really isn't easy compared to the rest of the field.  One of the things I did LOVE about BBM is the speed of the messages, they were almost instant; unlike WhatsApp which appeared to have a 1-3 second delay per message (on the same phone).  BBM has the same core functions as WhatsApp, sending pictures, etc, but does lack the option to send your location.

LINE - This application is good.  You can chat from your computer (Windows 8) and your phone as well.  However, the interface isn't as clean and easy to use as Viber.

Personally, I have uninstalled all of the IM apps (minus Viber, Google Hangout and WhatsApp), having too many options to chat is counter productive and a drain on your battery life.

What's your favorite IM application?

Do you have any questions about any of the IM apps?  Post in the comment section.

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS HERE: 
http://www.youtube.com/user/hawaiiinsomniac/videos 
Mahalo for reading. Until next time.

No comments: