Wednesday, October 05, 2011

1000 words - Canadian Edition

Alright, its time for another 1000 Words blog!  I can't believe I haven't written one in ages!

Ok... so 1000 words is basically taking a picture (recent or way in the past) and just trying to remember every single detail of the picture and the events.

I think we get caught up in daily life so much... that even when we have moments to look through an album and find pictures, we never really take the time to fully embody everything at that particular moment...

Ok, so here we go...


This picture was taken August 3, 2004.  Thanks to iPhoto, yes I really did not remember the date.. but I did remember many events that led to this particular picture...

First, this was the trip that I met my dad for the first time.  Long story short, I did some private investigating to find him and found three possible addresses, I mailed each one a postcard a little about myself.  Two of the postcards - I received back with return to sender.  One day, I did receive a letter with a copy of my birth certificate in there, and found that my dad was living in Long Beach.  

During this time frame, I was working for Hawaiian Airlines and Mortgage Brokers Consortium and my friends from Canada invited me back, so why not!?  I had flight benefits.  I figured, kill 2 birds with 1 stone - meet my dad for the first time and go on vacation with my best friend Eddie (who was living in San Diego at the time).  So my plan was take an overnight flight to LAX (on Hawaiian), meet with dad for breakfast and then catch a flight to YVR (on Alaska Airlines).

I remember getting off the flight with my heart racing (it was quite early - I would say around 6am) , all the years of not having him in my life... would he know it was me? what if we didn't get along?  There he was in a blue flannel jacket... I'd go into further details (we had Denny's for breakfast!), but i'll save that for another time... Needless to say, for those of you who know me very well, know that I love to laugh - well that's from my dad... 

Love you dad.

The trip was filled with excitement - of course - for those of us who have flown standby know how important timing is - and you guys know neurotic I am about being late - which I got from my mom.

My best friend Eddie was driving from San Diego to LAX to catch a flight with me...  If I recall correctly our flight was at 11:30, so of course, I had my dad drop me back off at the airport at 10:00... I had to check in and of course just to be a bit early.

So why did Eddie not check where to drop off the rental car before coming to LAX... I guess everyone in LA knows that the rental car places aren't actually at LAX... (hence tons of shuttles).  Of course, I'm panicking, losing my mind and Eddie finally shows up to LAX 30 minutes before our flight.  Lucky for us, we were flying on a weekday and there was no one else at security.  We got on the flight just fine and made our way to YVR.

While in YVR, my friends decided to take us hiking at Stawamus Chief in his mini - cooper... no not the new mini Cooper... the Original mini-cooper... quite surprising how roomy it was.  Ok, some random details...  I am not holding onto anything at all... I'm surprised I did this... (so dumb of me), I have some shots that shows exactly how high we were in the air...

Eddie was of course scared of heights and didn't really near to the edge... well sorta, but he was laying down crawling towards it... lol maybe this was my way of saying... look its not scary at all!

There was even a squirrel up there... up almost ate out of my hands, cute little booger.

I remember the air being cold, being crisp, the sky very blue, very peaceful...

On the way down I sprained my ankle. yey.

Mahalo for reading. 

Until next time.

No comments: