Sunday, September 25, 2011

2011 Honolulu Century Ride

Wow... its finally over... I'm still in disbelief.  The longest I've cycled this training session was 65.54 miles (Click me for this run's stats) and with the accident last week Sunday (which is still not healed) I wasn't sure how I would do.

A special thank you for those who have supported me in this event.  Particularly the individuals who donated to my cause - Leukemia and Lymphoma affects so many people and with the rising costs of healthcare - you have helped make people's lives a lot easier.

I've been asked - aren't the events you train for hard?? - in short, they are... but having to deal with chemotherapy is a lot harder - not having control of your future.

Another special thanks to individuals who helped me carb load yesterday.  Eating a Manager's special (half Mizithra cheese and half meat sauce - the larger portion OF COURSE!) really helped me gain the fuel to help me with the race.

So... How did I do?!  The event was more than I ask for.  I went over my goal today.  I was originally only expecting to do 75 miles and I went 82ish.  =D

Please click here for the same data, but you can play around with the map and see mile per mile how I went about the race...  (You'll be able to tell when I stopped by 7.11 - and if you're familiar with the map - you can tell me which one I stopped at!)


What did I learn from the race?

I learned many things...

First, I am truly blessed to have my health, I was surprised how fast, how far I've gone today.  They said roughly 75% did the 25 and 50 miles - out of approximately 2,000 cyclists.

Group B

I learned a lot of technicalities of the race... the race was divided into 4 groups (A, B, C and D)... I went to the B group because I figured I was planning to do 75 miles.  I should have done group A... I started the Runkeeper program when the shot went off - but it was only for Group A - Group B left the starting line about 15 minutes later (you'll see on the link that I took 15 minute pace for the 1st mile!)

One particular aspect of racing that people who don't race don't exactly understand the race day preparation.  Two days before, I made sure all the equipment on my bike was up to par and also the supplemental gels, extra tube, CO2 cartridges, things to fix the bike with - etc).

The night before I lay out all of the equipment I will need - cycling gear, shoes, socks, ipod, phone, wallet...

Day off - today I woke up at 0355 - I hit the snooze once - then at 0405, I was up and ready to go... I had to make breakfast (eating breakfast at this time is not easy - my stomach no likey) - good for the road, gatorade mix... put on my gear and run out the door... I arrived at Kapiolani park around 0445 - which was perfect.  I would free parking, I had time to check my bike (make sure the tires had the proper pressure, double check the gears, the aero bars - I had to tighten those)

2011 Honolulu Century Ride Certificate
Mahalo for reading.

Until next time.

1 comment: