Sunday, April 25, 2010

SPAM JAM 2010!

This was an event I've been looking forward to for a long time!

Click here for my Spam Jam post in 2008.

I was looking for the post on last years event and though I didn't post, my parents and I attended last year's event.  The food, ambiance was great!

Here's a pic from last year... (miss my hair...)

Well my day started off great, woke up at 5am.  Arrived in time for training at 0600 at Nuuanu, across from 7/11 by the basketball courts.  I missed the previous training from this location because I was in Nicaragua... so I was in disbelief when I was told we would be running to the Pali lookout (Yes, the Pali lookout) and back.

Two hours, 4 shot blocks, 2 water bottles and 12 miles later, I was surprised I was able to run with my calf injury and even came in 2nd. (woot!)  Honolulu Triathlon and Alaska Marathon - Here I come!

After a two hour nap, a protein shake, a banana, lots of water, and a plate full of pasta, it was time to check out the 2010 SPAM JAM!



The weather was perfect, the crowds started to line up for food, the music playing in the background, while some tourist really questioned the festival surrounding SPAM! (I gave one a dirty look and informed him that all proceeds from this event benefit the Hawaii Food Bank)...







After buying my commemorative t-shirt for $20, it was time to hunt down the SPAM - for PHOTO OP!!

T-shirt - check
SPAM photo - check.


It was time to analyze the different interpreted SPAM offerings by local restaurants.  A couple of restaurants that were not present this year are: Mac 24-7 and P.F Chang's.  The later created a lettuce spam wrap last year - YUM!!

The food this year was abysmal.  There was no flair and somehow the mediocre food from last year made its way back this year.  The best thing offered this year was by Coconut Willy's which didn't even have SPAM, it had shrimp!  The worst food award goes to Gordon Biersch, I was so upset I vow never to go to this restaurant.  SPAM sliders - my ass!  It was a sliver of SPAM dipped with bbq sauce in a dry bun.  Tasteless.  Repeat offender - Pancit SPAM!  I do not understand how ANYONE can make PANCIT + SPAM = BLAND.  Needless to say, I was pretty upset, so I had to get some dessert...

We decided to head to Cheeseburger in Paradise.  For a mudslide pie... That is one pie that ALWAYS delivers...

BEFORE...
AFTER...



After waking up to birds chirping...Today, I decided to take SPAM into my own hands... With the help of my SPAM cookbook (thanks Lovella!)










Tortilla SPAM.

A simple recipe with potatoes, onions, eggs, parsley, and of course SPAM...

Two mods: I used Turkey SPAM and I didn't add more salt (like the recipe required...)






Here is a pic of the final product.

It was hearty and oh so yummy.








It's a beautiful day outside!! Go enjoy!


Mahalo for reading.

Until next time.



No comments: