Sunday, April 04, 2010

iPad... the first 24 hours... first impressions


Alright, where do I begin?

First, I am glad I preordered the iPad at my local Apple store as the one I purchased online via Apple.com will not be arriving until Monday (Thanks UPS).

The packaging is classic apple, and this time more symmetrical. After opening the box, the iPad stares at you like a 8 month old waving you to pick her up. Upon lifting the iPad from its cradle, standard documents are within an envelope. Interestingly enough, the instructions for the iPad is a small 4 by 6 placard instructing you which buttons are for which. Under the placard is your USB cable and the thingy you plug into the wall.

I was surprised how heavy it feels, at 1.5 pounds it is not very heavy but heavier than what I thought it would be.

First set up can take a while, mines took over an hour. It will be longer or shorter depending on the quantity of your photos. I have over 6000+ photos and it has to optimize them for the iPad. I have over 10 movies, 50 music videos, 6000+ photos and 1000+ songs and I didn't fill up the 64GB iPad. Granted I have over 1TB of data on my iMac, but I don't need to have all of that stuff on my iPad.

Alright, you've heard that the iPad screams... yup... more like a "that's all you've got attitude?". The iPad dares you to touch touch, retouch, swipe and it will follow all your commands with speed and accuracy. I almost hear her whisper, "what bitch? is that all you've got?"

Apps optimized for the iPad is awesome! I have used Netflix, Backrounds HD, ABC, Aurora Feint, iBooks, Photos, Videos (where your music videos and movies will be accessed) and yup, I'm a fannilow. Current iPhone/iPod touch apps do work with zoom, but they aren't as crisp on the iPad.

Email and internet on the iPad is really cool. I was surprised how accurate my typing is on the iPad. You can either grab the iPad and use your thumbs to type, which is somewhat slow and cumbersome if you have small hands, or you can lay or flat, or on your lap with a case and you'll have a full keyboard on landscape mode. I had no problem typing away and replying to emails.

Speaking of accessories, you will need a case to protect your baby. I decided to buy the case that Apple produced for the iPad and it works great. Small kine note, if you plan to dock your iPad, be warned you will have to REMOVE your case to dock your iPad... might be a small thing, but casings normally lose shape and form the more you take them off and put them on...

Oh yeah... the sun... the iPad attracts sunlight, so you probably won't be using this in direct sunlight without glarification in your eyes.

The battery life is crazy. Apple estimated 10.5 hours, I am thinking more like 12 hours, I never like my computer, iPad super bright, so I have my brightness on 50% setting and 12 hours is easy to get on an iPad. I also had the bluetooth setting off.

CONS... (yes there are CONS)
1) If you're use to having access to your data on the go, the moment you don't have WiFi access the iPad might feel a little naked, restricting you to certain functions that do not require WiFi.
2) Application prices. iPhone and iPod touch users are use to $0.99 cent applications, not on your iPad! The top 10 application on the iPad have an average selling price of $6.89 as opposed to $2.09 for the top 10 paid application on the iPhone.
3) There is no "Private Browsing" on Safari, so if you use someone's iPad, don't do something that you'll be ashamed for them to see. o_O

Alright, I think that pretty much covers it as I haven't had breakfast yet and yadiyadi ya...

Mahalo for reading.

Until next time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maxi -

Love love love your writing style. While I am not an Apple girl, did enjoy your review, as Chris is definitely all Apple. Will forward to him to read as well.

See you in a few weeks,
MWAH
Dianne

alongcamepoli said...

Love it!!! Thanks for the in-depth look! I'll wait until iPad gets me a webcam for my Skype with the 3G though. ;)