Sunday, April 11, 2010

Apple iPad... One week later...

I have decided that I will be returning my Apple iPad.

Gasp!  I know, right?  I will be returning it not because I am unhappy with the device, I am returning it for the same device with added functionality... 3G.

As most of you know, I am one of the few individuals out there who has owned all 3 models of the iPhone and now no longer own the device that has changed the mobile scene.

Since I do have a 3G enabled device, there are certain instances where I do not have access to WiFi and 3G would be handy, so basically that is only reason I am returning my iPad.  That and I am debating on the 32GB version and the 64GB version.

I currently have a 64GB and though I have an iMac with a 1.5TB HD and I've used over 500GB of data, I feel that I don't really need to carry 64GB of music/videos and such.

To illustrate, here is a snapshot of what is in my iPad.

I have almost 1700 songs with 9 movies and a lot of music videos and video podcasts along with my whole photo collection and almost 80 application.

Yet, I will have 14.9GB to spare.

I think I will be buying the 32GB iPad + 3G.  I will be cutting down on the amount of photos I carry as well as coming up with a better system to filter my photos.

Ok, enough about mechanics... Let's talk about the device itself.  I still likes it a lot, I use it on a daily basis, yet I do not carry it around with me everywhere.  I do not use it at work, since I'm on the computer all day, nor do I use it all day in class, I use it maybe once every 2 hours to quickly check email.

As for the applications, I have downloaded many applications specific to the iPad and I have to say...
5 STAR APPS:  Netflix, ABC Player and Dragon Dictation.

These apps are the cream of the crop.  They not only work as intended but also surpass your expectation of the application and the interaction you come to expect.  Dragon Dictation is an application where you speak into the microphone and it takes your vocal speech and turns it into text, which you can then email, save, etc.  Surprisingly accurate.  With ABC player, though limited in the amount of episodes available, I have been able to catch up Desperate Housewives for free!  Netflix, not only does it have the full functionality of the website, you can stream movies and looks as good as the HDTV!

1 STAR APP: iStudiez Pro

I was looking forward to this application as it was one of Wired 15 iPad Apps You Should Download!
Needless to say, it has great promise for students and keeping them organized, but consistent crashing while trying to add your information left me furious.  It is the first application that I contact Apple for a refund, told Wired they suck for recommending this app and I even emailed the developer asking for a refund.  Surprisingly, the iStudiez guys apparently know there is a problem, so hopefully an update can work out all of kinks. 

Hi Max,

Thanks for your letter, we are sorry for the inconvenience.

Right now we are working hard to submit the critical update asap.
Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,

[name deleted for privacy]
iStudiez Pro Lead Architect


The app with the biggest potential is: iBooks.

I love this application.  I have purchased a book, and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was.  I was pretty shocked it downloaded as fast as a song on iTunes.  There is 1 major drawback though, content.  I searched for 3 books I wanted to buy and they were not available.  Hopefully when this matures like iTunes did, the amount of content will flourish.

Off to bed!  I have to wake up at 6 to run in the AM!

Mahalo for reading.

Until next time.

No comments: