Sunday, December 11, 2011

2011 Honolulu Marathon - #334

Its a perfect day for running a marathon, its currently 0901 - about 4 hours in the Honolulu Marathon (starts at 0500) and it is nice and cool outside, breezy and its cloudy as well!

This may not be the perfect day for people who want to go to the beach, but it is a great day for marathoners - no rain as well!

I've been ill the last 3-4 days and I was hoping for a quick recovery - unfortunately, that isn't the case.  

This would have been my 4th consecutive Honolulu Marathon...

I am really disappointed, I didn't fully train 100% or even 75%, or even 50% for this race, but its still a race I would have been able to complete - had I been healthy.

People ask me why? or how do I run marathons?  It's quite easy actually... A marathon is one of those things that you do not experience until you do one.  You mind might tell you its hard, its easy, its crazy... but until you actually experience the actual marathon through the movement of your body, you will not experience many things... the race itself, the people cheering for you, the communitas if you will with other racers - pushing each other to get to the ultimate goal, no matter at what speed.

When I mean pushing - not literally - its actually illegal to receive any kind of physical aid to propel you forward.  With that said, when you run with a large group of people it really motivates you... whether it is pacing with someone at your speed, going a little bit faster because you don't want this person to pass you, saying kind words to someone ahead of you who started walking (or vice versa), the experience of the marathon is one I enjoy - no matter what time I finish.

The sweat running down every orifice of your body, every part of your aching body doesn't compare to the feeling of crossing the finish line.  I still get emotional after crossing...

Well, there will always be next year... =D

Here's a pic of the last 3 finisher medals. 


My bib #334 


Mahalo for reading. 

Until next time.

No comments: