Sunday, September 27, 2015

Cycling - The most expensive casual sport!

So... my bike was finally delivered last night and I can't wait to start riding!  Some people have been asking me, "If I have my bike?" and the answer is YES!

(NOTE: Don't forget to check out why I am doing this ride - AIDS Life Cycle - share this link or donate! http://www.tofighthiv.org/goto/hawaiiinsomniac) 

However, there is so much more that you need for long distance cycling.  Granted, some of these things are optional, but if you want to take cycling seriously, these things become mandatory.


First, of course the bike!


Yey!  Next up for safety - helmet (that's necessary, right?)  I bought the most basic helmet available at the store.


Next up - bike pump - a must for cyclists!  Tire pressure is crucial.  If you're tire doesn't have the right pressure, its easier to puncture and it slows you down.

Next up, in case you do have a bike flat.  Tire lever set to remove the tire.  A replacement tube and the CO2 cartridge to put air back in the tube! and the pouch to put that in!


Oh yeah - cycling apparel.  Fortunately, I saved some from when I use to train and I also bought some in Spain - thanks Decathlon!  So much cheaper than anything here in the U.S.

What's not pictured here?!  (I've already ordered this stuff)

Lights!  The bike comes with reflectors - which is ok, if you're only riding in the day.  For Hawaii athletes, you know you have to train earlier to beat the heat - so lights are necessary!  

SPD cleats!  For short rides a regular pedal is fine.  Just use your regular shoes and ride away!  However, if you're going to start riding 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 or more miles, you'll want clip on shoes and pedals - why - you don't have to worry about your feet sliding and you can focus on rotation!

Yes, I've already spent almost $1,000 - and I got one of the road bikes on the lower end! 

And there are still more thing I need and want.  
I even started an Amazon WISHLIST 
(in case any of you are feeling super generous)

1)  SPD shoes (not included in wish list - I have to buy these at the store to try them on!) - the cleats are just what attaches to the bike - I'll need to buy special shoes to latch on to the cleats

2) Special Bike tools - not super expensive, but its like a screwdriver set for adjusting things on your bike.
3) Bike Rack - I'm currently storing this in my room and I'll probably continue doing so, but this way at least its feasible.

4) Bike Lock - With a bike lock, my rides aren't restricted to coming back home, I can go somewhere else and secure the bike - with a more expensive bike - you'd kinda want a more secure system.

5) Phone Mount (completely optional), but hey after an hour of riding it'd be nice to listen to some music, no?

Yeah - After that - that's about it.  Focus on riding - getting back into shape - then in the future - nutrition! 

YouTube: http://goo.gl/0vks5e 
Mahalo for reading. 
Until next time.

No comments: