Saturday, April 21, 2012

TechTalk - Moving from Mac (Apple) to PC - Part 1

Hi everyone!


As a former Apple-fan, I never thought I would be writing about this topic - how to transition from Mac to PC.  Over the course of the next month (or so), I'll be writing about how to transition from Mac to PC.  What applications to use, how to perform certain tasks as well as compatible application and hardware.


This week - Why?!
Next week - iPhoto replacement


Why a PC?  I needed a new laptop.  While my 8-9 year? 12" Powerbook G4 was still functioning, I needed something more recent to be able to run certain applications for graduate school.  Well, that and it was time!  I sold my 24" iMac when I left Hawaii, and I decided I wanted a 17" laptop.  I didn't answer the questions - did I?


My main reason - Cost - I purchased a refurbished Dell 17R N7110 (I know, crazy model names) for $580.10 (including taxes and a 17% discount) which included one year of at home home repairs if things were to go wrong.  A refurbished 17" MacBook Pro is $1719.00 (No, Apple doesn't have discounts for refurbished items).  


Source: Apple.com 04/21/2011
Alright, you might say - Max, the specs on the Apple laptop is definitely better!  Let's see.




Dell 17R N7110
Apple 17” MacBook Pro
Processor
Intel Core i5-2430M (2.40GHz, 3MB Cache)
2.53GHz Intel Core i5
Display
17.3 inch High Definition (1600 x 900) LED Display with TrueLife
17-inch LED-backlit glossy Hi-Res widescreen display (1920 x 1200 pixel)
RAM
6 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
4GB (two 2GB) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive
640 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
500GB Serial ATA, 5400 rpm
Disk Drive
12.7X Blu-ray (DVD+/-RW + BD-ROM)
8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)



The MacBook Pro has a better processor and a better display, but comes with lower RAM and HD, and doesn't have a Blu-Ray player.  Also, my new Dell has a HDMI connector - I just plug it to my HDTV and voila I can use my TV as a 2nd monitor to play blu ray movies or whatever else.


Now it is true, there are additional costs for owning a PC.  I paid $8.99 for a Antivirus software.


Needless to say, for $1,000++ you can buy an iPad if you really want to join Apple's Ecosystem.  I'm transitioning from Apple to PC and everything that goes with it.  I've left my iPhone about 2 years ago - I had no desire to pay $100/month for a cell phone plan - but that's another blog.

Next week. PC's answer to iPhoto

Mahalo for reading. 


Until next time.

No comments: