Saturday, March 10, 2012

TravelTalk - Dominican Republic

Alright, I decided to start a new hashtag - Traveltalk basically when I want to talk about travel!  =D

I was also thinking of one for TechTalk - considering I have way too many technology for 1 person.  

Back to the topic at hand (isn't that a rap song?)... Dominican Republic.  It was a quick 10 days. We started at Santo Dominto then headed up to Caberete via Sosua, then to Punta Cana (via Sosua, Santo Domingo), then to Boca Chica then back home.We must have spent a good 20 hours on buses, motoconch, taxis, etc.

Map Reference!

 Dominican Republic has a lot to offer, but to forewarn you, it is an expensive place to be (in relation to Central and South America), you will be paying US prices for meals - that is probably due to the fact that gas is $6.00 a gallon (if not more).  The people are friendly, though it might be beneficial to you if you spoke a little travel Spanish. (where, when, how much, etc!?)

My friend and new travel buddy - Liz
 Dominican Republic is a country that is developing, you can quickly see the disparity of wealth between the have and have nots - which also divides certain areas of the city.

A suggestion is to skip Santo Domingo all together - unless you are staying an extended period of time and really want to explore the city.  If you are in the country for a week and want some sand, sun, beach and even surf, there are many other places to be. 


I would actually considering going back - knowing what I know now.  I'd probably spend my time in Caberete and also explore Samana (both cities are in the northern part of the country).

There is also smaller international airports (Punta Cana and Puerto Plata).

It was my first time going to an all-inclusive resort and it was fun, but I don't think I would do it again.  Liz and I went to one for 1 night and it was fun, but its definitely a different set of people that were there than the rest of the people we met through our travels.



Surprisingly, there is a large Russian population that visit this place - perhaps it is easier to obtain a visa!?  There were even signs for Russian real estate agents.

More pictures... will post a more detailed blog of how to plan your travel... (later!)






Mahalo for reading.

Until next time.

No comments: