Saturday, July 30, 2011

Antigua and Marriage...

Alright!  I've been in Antigua now for 2 weeks.

I can't believe my field school is halfway done!  I'm spending the weekend catching up on school work, blogging, and other technical things (finalized my fall schedule - Graduating this December!!, paying bills, etc.)

So... what is Antigua like?

Antigua, Guatemala (6a Calle Poiniente)


Antigua is very similar to Granada, Nicaragua, except it isn't as hot here, the buildings are of different colors and the roads are quite unique to Antigua.



Sorry for the short blog, but I have to get some school work done!  Yes, field notes here we come!

Ceremony


MARRIAGE?  Yes, I didn't technically walk down the aisle, but a group of us went to San Antonio to learn more about the indigenous culture.  How they create their crafts, how they make tortillas, coffee (which is quite labor intensive), as well as eat local traditional food (pepian - which made me really ill for the next 48 hours), as well as how they get married.






Since I was the only guy in the group, I was hitched to Erin (pictured).  Hopefully, this isn't legally binding o_O


What we are wearing is traditional and the accessories symbolizes the work of each gender.  I am wearing a canteen which contains coffee and another pouch which contains tortillas, so I can head to work and provide for my family.



Erin is symbolically holding our baby, she also has a lot of responsibilities mostly tied to the home.  In addition taking care of the baby, she is to cook the meals (symbolized by the apron, which was gifted to her by my mother), keep the home clean and all the other logistics that involves the home.

I will post a whole blog with just pictures of Antigua.  

Have a great weekend.

Mahalo for reading.

Until next time.

No comments: