Wednesday, January 28, 2009

An open letter to University of Hawaii.

AN OPEN LETTER TO UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII

Aloha,

My name is Max and after a 5 year hiatus of being self-employed. I have saved up enough funds to attend school full time to finish my degree.

My main concern with the process of going back to school is how disjointed University of Hawaii system is. I understand there are different schools within the system and for logistic reasons beyond my comprehension applying to schools within the UH system is more complicated than reading self-employed tax returns.

My 1 suggestion: have a centralized database for official transcripts.

If a student applies to UH system, he/she would send official transcripts to 1 address. Should the student decide to attend another university within the UH-system, that school can also access that secured database with official transcripts.

This is where my problem lies. I have applied and have been accepted to UH-Manoa. After analyzing my options and financial situation, it would be beneficial if I attended UH-Hilo, due to lower cost of living.

In addition to costs of applying to UH-Hilo, that particular university is now requiring me to request official transcripts. Why the UH system doesn't communicate with its fellow members to help its students is beyond me.

It would not only be beneficial to the students to have to only send 1 set of official transcripts, but also to the UH-system itself. Instead of having each school devote resources to transcripts, there can be 1 centralized location for official transcripts.

Hopefully, the UH system can move forward and greater assist its future students.

Mahalo for your time.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Mahalo for reading.

Until next time.

No comments: