Friday, March 15, 2013

LifeTalk - Acceptance

Something about this letter - just made me cry.

While most people might not think it is a big deal to come out of the closet... it is a really big deal for gay people.  Receiving social messages from the day you were born that you do not fit in, creates a friction between the person you are and the person society wants you to be.  Yes, social messages, everything from color, movies, television, and everything that you see around you. 

This simple letter reads...
“I overheard your phone conversation with Mike last night about your plans to come out to me.  The only thing I need you to plan is to bring home OJ and bread after class. We are out, like you now. I’ve known you were gay since you were six, I’ve loved you since you were born.”  - Dad


I shouldn't be reading things like this in the morning - I'm such a softie... 

Mahalo for reading. 

Until next time.

No comments: