Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Dumb American moment...

I landed in Quayaquil, Ecuador after 2 layovers.

I can't believe it, I landed on my 6th continent!!

Wowsers!!

Sooooooo I had a dumb American moment. Ha ha yes even after all the travel, I had a d'oh moment...

After clearing customs where I was somewhat peeved because he put the ecuadorian passport stamp on top of another stamp?! (really?! Check out the other pages!!))

Anywho... I had no check in luggage so I went straight towards the exit... Well, I realized I had no local money or small bills for that matter...

Luckily, there was a money exchange to my right...

After, prepping my best Spanish sentence in my head, "Necesito cambiar dinero." I entered the room and stated my practiced sentence after a polite "Hola!"

He then asked mien Spanish what kind of money did I have, I politely said, dolares de estados unidos. Puedos cambiar aqui?!

He said no. Lol, why not?!?!

Because our official currency is the us dollar.

Ooohhhhh... Can I change for smaller bills?!

Si...

I walked out quickly with a shame...

Tough, I did redeem myself at the Moviestar counter where I conversed totally in Spanish and managed to purchase a sim card for my unlocked phone.

Lesson learned. Us dollars is the only currency accepted in Ecuador...

Mahalo for reading.

Until next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL...didn't know that either but then again, I don't have much experience in traveling. MMESA