Friday, July 06, 2012

TechTalk - Google Wallet - Why I loathe thee.

I have to admit, I'm a shopaholic.  An online shopaholic.  I've probably purchased an insane amount of things online (you'll see how insane in a moment), so it really pains me to say one of my favorite companies out there (Google), really has a product out there that is really disappointing and honestly - not ready for prime time.

Just a bit of background information.  Google Wallet is now being used for all things Google - including Google Play (Android's App Store - if you will), NFC, etc.  Well, I wanted to buy the Galaxy Nexus, since there is a possibility I'll be moving overseas in the next two months, I figured an unlocked stock phone would be for me - but NOT according to Google - who thinks my account was fraudulent and credit card was fraudulent.

The biggest frustrating part of the whole experience is: a) dealing with Google Wallet customer service and b) the phone is no longer on sale (Click here to read about it!)

Needless to say, I shop a lot.  So I was really quite shocked when Google Wallet (who I guess doesn't check my emails to see that I'm a shopaholic - thanks BTW), DENIED my purchase transaction.  NOT only that, I had to complete this form and attach a copy of my ID and STATEMENT (to prove it was me) - something I have NEVER done before and was really APPREHENSIVE - I mean seriously!? I honestly thought this website was one of those phishing site trying to get my information (IT SOUNDS SO BOGUS), but needless to say, I decided to do it, with my Passport and one of my credit cards (I figured the account number had XXXXXXXXXs on it).

Why was this frustrating? 

2 days before I bought an app. 
No problem.  (wasn't an address verification performed then?) 

I get an email from Google Wallet CSR apologizing - with their emails in different COLOR fonts!

The CSR just typed in the first part and everything else was automated... 
(I then asked Mike nicely to change his to "plain-text" so that at least it seems like he wrote the email - even though we know the whole thing was AUTO-POPULATED)


Other than that - my funds on HOLD, and PHONE ISN'T ON SALE ANYMORE.

Let me see (for the month of June - what I purchased online!!

Amazon:

eBay (only those with Feedback - there may be others!)

Ummm... I would post more, but this is starting to become scary.  Ha! maybe my monthly challenge should include no more ONLINE SHOPPING!  Looking through my statements, I have multiple orders for: bluefly (great for clothes!), Express (love how their Photographer pants fit!), BestBuy, drugstore (Free ship >$25 with GNC gold card discount!) - and of course, Living Social and Groupon (Who doesn't want a 1/2 off restaurant tab?)!

Am I frustrated, yes! But this highlights a problem with Google's distribution.  There is NO ONE you can talk to.  Yes, Twitter, Emails, blah blah blah - but seriously!? Every other company has a customer service department!

Am I going to buy a Google Nexus? Still debating about it since I use a lot of Google Products, but now shopping for an unlocked iPhone.

Mahalo for reading. 

Until next time.

No comments: