Thursday, May 08, 2014

2014 Madrid Open (my experience)

This year’s Madrid Open was the first time I saw a tennis match live. 

I love tennis.  I can probably spend a whole day watching tennis.  I've been watching tennis for I don't know how long... ha ha...  I'm even starting to look for a tennis coach or tennis classes so I can learn how to play..


Madrid Open was so awesome. I saw various famous individuals; such as, Serena Williams and Sharapova and various other matches. I was really surprised how inexpensive it was and also how much tennis you can see in 1 day. The first two days (the days that I went), I only paid 12 euros a day. You only had a reserved seat for the main court, you can freely go to the other courts as well, the smaller indoor court and all of the other outdoor courts. 



Another surprising thing about watching the Madrid Open was that I found the matches with Williams and Sharapova to be quite normal. Don’t get me wrong, seeing them in person was beyond words, they hit the ball so much harder and it seems to travel so much faster than the television (Sharapova is really tall in person). However, the other matches (probably because they were more evenly ranked) were more exciting. 


I recall seeing McHale in the 1st round and it was the first match I saw (and they even had a tie breaker). The next match I saw was also awesome, it was located in the Arantha court, which was smaller, but I got to sit in the VIP section, that was awesome because it was a 3 setter – and of course, the American won – I’m not trying to say that she won because I was the only one screaming… but hey – she came from a set deficit to win the last 2 sets.

One of the things I didn't like about the Madrid Open is that you can't leave after you've entered... considering the first match starts around 11am and the last one ends around 10pm, its pretty much impossible to see all of the tennis matches (they need cots for naps).

The food indoors was more expensive than normal, but I guess its like an airport or the movies, they probably make most of their money from food, merchandise (which I didn't buy any) and souvenirs.

If you're a fan of tennis - go check out a tennis tournament - you won't regret it!

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS HERE: 
http://www.youtube.com/user/hawaiiinsomniac/videos 
 Mahalo for reading. Until next time.

No comments: